Unfortunately, animal abuse and neglect is still very much a problem in our society. If you suspect an animal may be suffering from abuse or neglect, please don't hesitate to speak up. We must speak for those who cannot speak for themselves.

Report abuse and neglect to:

Report abuse and neglect to:

  • Animal Control (Bismarck 701-223-1212 and Mandan 701-667-3250),
  • County Sheriff (Burleigh 701-222-6651 and Morton 701-667-3330),
  • State Veterinarian (701-328-2655), or
  • Central Dakota Humane Society (701-667-2020) or your local animal shelter or law enforcement.

To report abuse or neglect in Bismarck and remain anonymous, call 701-255-3113.

We at CDHS share the frustrations of many people who call to report abuse or neglect. In North Dakota, humane organizations do not have legal jurisdiction. We do not have the authority to investigate complaints or remove animals from bad situations. We must report complaints of abuse or neglect to local law enforcement.

The Cycle of Abuse

National studies and statistics show that people who abuse animals are highly likely to either be abusing family members and/or to have been abused themselves. Many go on to commit even more violent acts such as rape and murder. One study found that in 71 percent of cases involving spousal abuse, animal abuse was also occurring, and in cases of child abuse, over 85 percent of the abusers were also abusing the family pets.